Email & Accounts
Usernames are normally handled by our Automated Userid System (AUTOIDS). AUTOIDS generates a username the morning after a new employee is entered into the HR PeopleSoft Database or into the Student Database.
For employee usernames, a valid id number that is obtained from the PeopleSoft database is required before we can create an id. For student usernames, a valid id number taken from the student database is required. These requests can only be made by TSPs, College Consultants, Administrative Staff members of a particular college or department, or CCIT Staff.
Employee accounts are revoked upon the employee’s separation from the university. These accounts cannot be reactivated without department consent.
Passwords to your account(s) should be protected at all cost. Here are some simple tips to ensure your password cannot be hijacked by someone else:
- Use a combination of letters, numbers, and special characters. The more complicated the password, the harder it will be for someone to crack it.
- Use a password that only you would know and remember.
- Refrain from using common words for your password.
- Do not use the name of a family member or pet. This information can easily be obtained from a variety of sources.
- Do not give your password out to anyone.
- Detailed information on password security can be found on our Password Policy Page.
If you experience problems with your password, or have any questions, contact the Help Desk at ITHELP@clemson.edu or (864) 656-3494.
Exchange accounts provide email, calendaring and scheduling, and other administrative activities (contact lists, to-do lists, tasks, etc.) for faculty and staff. Microsoft Outlook email desktop or Office365 clients are required for full access to Exchange accounts.
Service Prerequisites or Dependencies
This service is available to all Clemson University faculty and staff at no charge. Users wishing to use the Exchange service, must enable both of the Exchange forwarding options in the email forwarding page.
The service includes email and calendaring and provides the following benefits:
- Capacity for creating and maintaining Exchange mailboxes, distribution lists, and secured public and shared folders (with the ability to restrict access to specified groups.)
- Provision for Active Directory (AD) accounts and passwords for Exchange authentication. Accounts will be created via eDir and synched with AD accounts
- Provision for virus scanning and filtering
- Provision for SPAM filtering on an individual opt-in basis
- Provision for daily back-ups of the Exchange server for emergency recovery.
- Back-ups include disk and off-site backups.
- First-tier problem reporting through the CCIT Help Desk
How to set up:
- Exchange accounts on Windows (Outlook)
- Exchange accounts on Mac (Apple Mail)
- Exchange online while I’m away from my primary computer (OWA)
If you need further assistance with Exchange, please email email@example.com.
Employees at Clemson University can choose to protect their email with Duo two-factor authentication. For more information about this opt-in service, visit our Duo Opt-In FAQ page. To opt-in, visit 2fa.clemson.edu and click “Opt-Ins” at the top of the page.
Google Workspace for Education
CCIT supports Google Workspace for Education accounts for staff and faculty, in addition to students. Starting in Spring 2024, newly admitted students will no longer have access to Gmail accounts (g.clemson.edu) and will instead use Outlook. Current faculty and staff should be mindful of this and the transition to Outlook for university email. Google Workspace for Education accounts will continue to include Google Drive, Google Sites and Google Docs service for students and employees.
*All other Google services are turned off for legal reasons*
Terms of Service
If you choose to use Google Workspace, and especially if you choose to use Google Workspace as your primary messaging and calendaring service, please keep the following in mind:
- Google Workspace is hosted and supported by Google. Very limited support is available through CCIT.
- All data will be stored by Google and CCIT will be unable to access and/or restore deleted data.
- Google Workspace will not be able to access Clemson resources such as meeting rooms. Calendaring for these resources is available only by using Exchange.
If you have questions or need assistance, contact ITHELP@clemson.edu or call the CCIT Customer Support Center at 864-656-3494.
Listservs at Clemson
Customized electronic mail lists can be used to distribute e-mail to a group of people. Lists can be created and used to reach a class section, faculty members in a department, external email addresses, or groups with other selected criteria.
Clemson utilizes two different systems for Listserv management.
The first, and easiest, way to create, modify, and manage a listserv would be to use Central. This list management system is used primarily by students, faculty, and clubs on campus. The Central site can be accessed by visiting ‘central.clemson.edu’ and logging in with your Clemson user name. Detailed instructions for creating and maintaining your list can be found here.
Sympa is a very powerful application that runs SQL queries against Clemson databases every time an email is sent to the list. This list management system is used primarily by departments that are looking to focus on a particular type of user. E-mail distribution lists will be created for official University use only. Sympa listservs are created for special circumstances and are maintained primarily by CCIT. Most lists should be created in Central. Detailed instructions for requesting a list can be found here.